Top 5 Places Parents Can Go With Their Children To Make Everyone Happy (Including the Teacher)

(Thanks to Krista Walden for the Little Guys, and Mercedes Hutches for the background! )

As a teacher, I get to meet all different kinds of parents and students. Some students spend so much time traveling with their families that they are barely in the classroom. Others students have never been anywhere but their house and the school. While I am not encouraging you to check your child out of school, studies have shown that children who have lots of "life related" experiences outside of the classroom will be more likely to perform better in the classroom, and to feel more confident outside of their homes.
What can parents do to provide these experiences for their children? It doesn't have to be expensive, or ridiculously time-consuming. Here are my top 5 things that you can do with your children to make everyone happy!

1. Take your children to the public library. Almost every public library in the United States has a specific children's area, with a children's librarian who can help you find books perfect for any level of reader. If you child is old enough (most libraries suggest kindergarten or older), sign them up for their own library card. It's free, and they will experience the application process, as well as the interaction at the checkout counter when they get books. Your children will spend the rest of their lives checking things out with cards.
      *BONUS* Most libraries have free children's programs during the summer. These can vary depending on the library, but most will invite you and your child to listen to a story and complete a craft related to the book read.

2. Go to the Farmer's Market. Most cities have a local farmer's market, where farmers showcase their fresh fruits, vegetables, and flowers. Many students that come into the classroom have never seen or heard of  fruits and vegetables that are less popular in the local cuisine. (In my area, the most commonly unheard of fruits and vegetables include eggplants, artichokes, and pomegranates) Don't have any money? Don't worry! There is no charge to walk around, look, and talk to your child about the foods. Some farmers will even offer samples of their produce. Remember, talking to your child about what they are seeing is what makes this activity worthwhile. Depending on the age of your child, talk about the colors you see, how the foods are grown, comparisons of different produce, etc.

3. Take a Walk. You don't have to go somewhere special to take a walk with your children. You can take a walk with your child around your house, around your block, or down the walking or bike trail nearby. This activity is also free, and it allows you time to talk with your child. You can talk about the colors and shapes you see with your little one, or the different structures and plants with your older children. You might take the time to collect flowers or leaves for a scrapbook, depending on the time of the year. Just walking with your children is healthy for everyone involved, but it gets your children outside, away from computer and television screens (and even books), and experiencing the world around them. Adding meaningful conversation increases the benefits and learning for your children.

4. Visit a Local Museum. We live in an area where there aren't any museums, or so I thought when I was growing up. I always loved when my family would visit museums on vacation. Now that I'm an adult, I realize that we actually have several museums. As a child, I just never knew they were museums, so you may have to hunt for these. Locally, we have the Shiloh museum, the new art museum, the Pea Ridge Military Park & Museum, and the Prairie Grove Battlefield State Park & Museum. The experiences you will have depend on the kind of museum that you visit. Some museums have a relaxed children's area, where they have specific tours or hands-on areas for children. Others are more strict, but that doesn't mean that you and your child won't have fun seeing all the different artifacts. I would suggest checking out the guided tours before you sign up for them, though. Many may not be appropriate for your children, because they are geared towards an adults vocabulary, spend too much time per exhibit, or are simply too long. If you are in doubt, skip the tour and just talk with your child about the different things that you see. You don't have to memorize all the information in the museum in one trip!

5. Visit a Nearby National or State Park. Most national and state parks have programs and activities designed specifically for children and families. You can sign up for a short hike, bird watching outing, picnic, video, footprint discussion, or many other different fun activities. Each one is designed specifically to teach you and your child more about the local and national flora and fauna, and proper care of the forest. The cost will depend on where you live, but most parks also offer free family days.
     *BONUS* Can't make it to a park any time soon? Your children can visit
 http://www.nps.gov/webrangers/ to learn more about the parks, play games, and see photos and stories of animals and plants. This doesn't take the place of actually visiting a park, but it does give your children an opportunity to at least experience information about our amazing native living creatures.

There are hundreds more amazing things you can do with your children to provide learning experiences. These are my Top 5.
What resources does your area have to promote learning experiences for the family?

42 comments:

  1. These are all great ideas! I love taking my kids to do all these! So much better than sitting at home on the XBox.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the NPS website tip. That is a fabulous idea. My daughter loves info and watching youtube videos of volcanos erupting and stuff like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What some fabulous ideas! I especially love the farmers market idea! I'm obsessed with them anyway, especially since I moved to a small town where its rare to get them! I really appreciate them now and what a great thing to teach children!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are GREAT ideas!!! I especially love the one about visiting the Farmer's Market. We have a great one within 20 minutes and I love going each week. I'm even working on a printable set just for this subject!! I will be sharing this post for sure!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great ideas!! I love the farmers market idea. We've done all the museums and parks but this is one we've never thought of. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are great tips, and I'm so happy because I can do nearly all of them here in the town we live in. It will be cheap, keep my son busy, and all be educational!

    - April
    mylifeasapril.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are such great ideas for wholesome inexpensive activities. Our favorites are the local farms in the area, picking our own produce, and going to the library! We also enjoy geocaching!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your ideas are wonderful. Talking with your kids is often easier out of the familiar environment of home. We did a lot of that as well as travel and it definitely gave my son a lot of confidence. I feel sad for families who never do things to get out of the house. Everyone is just too busy, or poor, but a lot can be done in the time span of some silly TV program, and many many free things are available. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We love taking our kids for walks. It's amazing the questions they will ask and the information they remember. My parents took us traveling and camping quite often, and we look forward to the day we can get a small camper and do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think #2 depends on your child. My 8 year-old would be fine at the smaller local market that is up the road. This is just a small town market put out by the local farmer. Or the one in the town next to us that is very small with just a few vendors. We tried 2 weeks ago to take her to the one in the city and it was a total nightmare. She is generally very respectful of others and doesn't tend to ask for grocery items. This event ended up being a sheer nightmare. LOL. Maybe she was just having a bad day but even her father said he would never bring her back, and he NEVER says that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for this! I agree wholeheartedly! This is why we took our son on a trip for his birthday this year instead of having a party. We all enjoyed it so much more and he got to see California for the first time! I will be sharing this with my Mom's group!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great way to not only have fun, but to continue learning outside the classroom! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I work in a library so #1 is my favorite, but they're all great! Many libraries also have winter reading programs now and in our library we have year-round special programing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What great ideas! No kids here yet but I used many of these when I was a nanny for 3 years!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What great ideas! We don't have children yet, but i know that if we are blessed with them one day, I will want these budget friendly ideas. I love farmer's markets, and love the idea of walking around and pointing out the different fruits and vegetables. We love eating local and organic food, and I love the idea of our children understanding that it takes a lot of hard work to grow the food they eat! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awesome tips on where to take children to have fun and facilitate learning :)
    The local animal shelter is also a good place to go

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for these tips! I love these ideas. I agree that children need to experience these things & since we don't travel much (if at all) these are great ways to still encourage them to experience life & learn so much about other things, cultures, etc

    ReplyDelete
  18. We do a lot of these ideas and we also do a lot of animal involved activities. Going to the local shelter, petting zoo's, farms and zoos are great for my children who are avid animal lovers. Another idea is to get a group of parents and children together and see if you can tour things like a fire department, post office, hospital and etc. If you call and make arrangements most places love to show children what they do and why they do it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. My kids grew up going to the zoo. My oldest has been watching a friends kid here and there and always wants to take her to the zoo. My oldest BF has never been to the zoo & she and I tweaked when she told me that. It warmed my heart when she said,"who's Mom doesn't take them to the zoo?" It was as close to a thank you as I'll try for lol

    ReplyDelete
  20. My kids are older now but when they were younger we used to do a lot of this stuff. We also used to go to the book store to look at books. They often have kids programs too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I remember a lot of these great ideas growing up! Many parents forget about the simple things that we can do with their children! Thanks for sharing!

    Daou @ CarMeCrazy

    http://carmecrazy.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. During the summer, I try to visit all of these places. Especially the library for the cool summer rewards they have.

    ReplyDelete
  23. YES! All great ideas. We love the Farmers Market and taking walks when the weather permits (here in FL it's always so hot). My dad used to take us on walks all the time when we were kids, and we loved it. Now that I'm a mom, I realize it was probably a lifesaver for him & mom to get us all out of the house and doing something active outdoors, that was free :)
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lots of great ideas here. As homeschoolers EVERYWHERE we went was an educational field trip. Walmart, grandmas house, Walt Disney World, the dentist's office. Everything is educational if you view your world with an "what can I learn here?" lens.

    ReplyDelete
  25. We visit the library almost every week and it is definitely a highlight. We also live outside Chicago and venture into the city for the wonderful museums. We can't get enough!

    Thanks for sharing.

    Jennifer @ The Jenny Evolution
    www.thejennyevolution.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. I miss living near D.C. SO many awesome (and free) museums to check out.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Our kids joined the public library this summer. They are already asking to go back again. They loved visiting and borrowing the books. We also visit a local state park every summer to relax and have family picnics.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great ideas! I'm a library maven myself -- spent my youth hanging in our local library ...libraries have become so much more than just repositories of books; they have tons of special programs... Also, I'm a big fan of botanical gardens; they're beautiful and relaxing, but you can also learn about all kinds of plants and some have native areas where you can learn about the plants in your own back yard!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great list and how often do we forget to be a tourist in our own area. We visited NYC this summer and I was surprised to find their library offered tours. learned all sorts of new things I wouldn't have known without the tour. So it pays to ask.

    ReplyDelete
  30. All great ideas! My two favourite places to take my kids are the library and fruit & vegetable store (we usually do both on Sunday afternoons). We get to talk about literature and educate them on food on the same day!

    Raj
    Pink Chai Style

    ReplyDelete
  31. We are a family of 5 - with a stay at home dad and a full time working mama (me). So it's hard to find activities the whole family can do on a budget. And that the whole family wants to do. But your post is dead on because sometimes it really is the simple things. The kids love to go on nature walks around our area. They love the National Zoo which is free admission. My oldest daughter could spend all day every day at the library. It's really all about the life experience - and that doesn't have to cost and arm and a leg.

    Thanks so much for a great post!

    ReplyDelete
  32. What wonderful ideas! Other than a bookstore, a library is my favorite place to be. There's so much to see and do in a city, and many of these things can be enjoyed for free or a very low price. I especially love that these 5 things come from a Teacher! Thanks for sharing these.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Love love love the idea of going to a Farmer's Market. It is so important for kids to start learning about where real food comes from. Even going to a farm would be a good idea. So many kids think food comes from a box, unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Great post! I have done all of these things with my kids (2 of them this past weekend!) and I concur- they provide wonderful experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  35. These are such great ideas...and heck, on the right weekend, you can do all of them! I loved doing these things with my kids when they were young!

    ReplyDelete
  36. My friend and her kids make a point to hit every national park they can. We also love the farmers' market. Ours has a kids club, too. I always suggest using your zoo membership to visit zoos and aquariums for pretty much free. There are so many things to learn there and they usually have activities for kids during the day.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Excellent ideas, thank you. :D One thought about getting kids their own library cards--my local library told me it was better to just take books out under my own card for them because if they had one, the library was not legally allowed to tell me what they were taking out [although, as their guardian, I was still responsible for the books, even supposedly not knowing what they were--stupid or what? Made me mad...] Anyway, certainly I would be overseeing my kids and their books, but it's still something to think about...

    ReplyDelete
  38. Love these tips! I especially think the Farmer's Market is a good and creative idea that I've never thought of before. It's fun just walking and looking. :)

    ReplyDelete
  39. We have been to all except the museum or state park - just local playground parks (lol)....and we are all happy campers!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Great ideas! I have a special needs son who is basically still a child so things like this are always fun for him. He loves the Farmer's Market and he's been loving the Zoo so much on dollar days over the summer that we decided to get a membership. All great learning experiences for little or no money!

    ReplyDelete
  41. I do not have kids yet but these are good tips. I will keep them in mind as my husband and I plan for our future family. Some of them happen to be places I enjoy going myself!

    ReplyDelete
  42. I love all of these! As every school break or holiday break I plan out activities like these for my 8 year old daughter. These are frugal and free things to do that are also very educational and fun!. Thanks for sharing that teachers enjoy this as well.

    ReplyDelete